One of the most beautiful churches in Goa. It is the Parish Church for the village of Saligao.
This beautiful Gothic structure has been amidst us for the past 127 years. The foundation stone was laid on 7.2.1867. The chapel was raised to the status of parochial Church in 1873. The Church was blessed on 26.11.1873.
The statue of Mother of God which is venerated at the side altar was brought from the extinct Convent of Mother of God from Daugim, Old Goa.
Every year on the feast of ‘Mae de Deus’, the Saligão Sporting Club have their traditional dance – ‘Foxes’ Nite’ which draws people from all over Goa and foreigners on holiday too. This dance is held on the Saligão Sporting ground next to the Mae de Deus Church which is beautifully lit up at night.
The Goa Tourism Department has made arrangements to illuminate the church at night. It looks like a shimmering jewel in the fields as you drive by on the Chogum road from Panjim to Calangute.